Most people I talk to agree that having some kind of a kit is a good idea, but they have a lot of questions about why a customized kit is important. Below are the questions I hear the most often.
(Got one I didn’t answer? Contact me! I’d love to answer it and add it to the list.)
Why can’t I just get a premade kit?
It’s better than nothing, but it doesn’t take care of needs that are individual to you and your family. Like these:
- your pets
- your medical requirements
- important documents and insurance policies
- your children’s needs
- practical items like headlamps, robust first aid, etc.
- personal items that you’ll want for comfort
Why can’t I just buy things off of a list?
Lists are a great place to start, but they’re generic. And once you start thinking through what you want to have, prioritizing can be tough. A lot of people get overwhelmed and give up at this stage. You don’t have a bunker for all this stuff; how will you prioritize and make this kit manageable given your space constraints? I’ve done hours of research and conducted interviews with survivors and first responders. You get the benefit of that experience and my professional organizing skills to help you prioritize and organize efficiently.
I don’t have extra time. How long will it take?
Depending on the level of detail you want in your plan, it could be two or three meetings with me and then you’re done. It takes me about two to three weeks to assemble a fully personalized kit and plan.
Do I have to update it?
I help with that too. I give you an annual check-in process that updates your kit quickly based on new priorities.
Do I really need to do this? Isn’t that what emergency services are for?
Very few disaster survivors I’ve spoken to say that emergency services took care of all their needs. That’s simply not their role. And if you’re relying on your neighbors or friends, ask yourself this: “What if they’re relying on me?”
What will it cost?
Based on your needs, the range is between $1200 – $2400, plus the kit. Here’s what it includes:
- A personalized kit of items for you and your family that can’t be purchased in any premade kit
- The top 3 documents that disaster survivors say they wish they’d had.
- A comprehensive plan that includes every member of your household, including your pets.
- Critical disaster preparedness information, including disaster do’s and don’ts and first-aid preparation.
- What to do before, during, and after a disaster based on information and interviews from disaster survivors and recommendations of FEMA, Neighborhood Emergency Response Team, Ready Gov, SF Animal Care & Control, and California First Aid & Safety.
- An easy, 30-minute process for updating your personalized kit each year.
Still have questions? Let’s talk!
Help Me Prepare