If you don’t have the time or money for a complete bathroom renovation, there is still plenty you can do to get more love from that overused and underappreciated room! Here are a few ways to refresh your bathroom so it refreshes you:
- Color it boldly. Between the bathtub, toilet, tile, and ceiling, most bathrooms have a lot of white in them. Try painting the walls a dark color – like dark blue – for something fantastic and different. Here is a guide for selecting the right color for you. Change out the shower curtain to something dramatic.
- Install or update the medicine cabinet. If you don’t have a medicine cabinet, it’s a big bang for your buck.
- Include artwork. Hang a large decorative mirror or artwork. Make it BIG; don’t skimp! Stay away from tiny little pieces.
- Change the lighting. Don’t go for the typical boring bathroom fixture; go for something fun and unusual. Look for a pendant style instead of a flush mount. For ambiance, put a dimmer on the light switch.
- Refresh the towels. Let your new BOLD paint and shower curtain be the main sources of color in the room; keep the towels white.
- Add an outdoor rug. Something that can be washed off easily. This is a good option for those bathrooms where you can’t or don’t want to replace the flooring.
You can also do a lot of the things I recommend for a kitchen refresh, including changing faucets, giving every inch of your bathroom a deep clean, and painting any outdated wood cabinets – like those oak ones from the 1980s!
In case you didn’t catch it, my theme here is GO BOLD! In the meantime, get more tips like these for your bedroom and kitchen, find out the best way to hang artwork, or learn how to make any room feel larger than it is on my tips page.
I am a San Francisco interior designer, professional organizer, and move management specialist rolled into one. Learn more about how I can help you by looking over my services or reading a story or two about how I’ve helped someone just like you.
Help Me Design