When interior designers begin their careers, we’re encouraged to create ‘portfolio-worthy’ projects. In retrospect, it’s easy to see that these projects are more about the design firm than the client. As a well-seasoned designer, I’ve come to realize it’s much more fun to create spaces for other people. Gratitude and happy faces motivate me. Since that’s why I design, there are a few things I simply won’t do as an interior designer:
- I won’t tell you there’s a right or wrong way to create a living space. Have you ever looked at an interior design magazine and thought, “Yuck! That’s awful?” Design is subjective. Who’s to say what works aesthetically and what doesn’t? I have a client who wanted her bedroom painted a bright, and I mean BRIGHT yellow. And I cringed. I talked to her about the intensity of that color in a small room and gave her other options. But she was adamant about that particular color. So, I put my ego aside and I went ahead with it. She’s thrilled!
- I won’t design for myself instead of for you! I don’t show up at your door with a ‘look’ that I insist is right for your home. For me, it’s about your hopes, your goals, your style, and my skill in making those come together. At the end of the day, I go home and you live in the house I’ve helped you create!
- I won’t shy away from a particular design style. I’ve learned to look forward to designing beyond my own love of contemporary design. I have clients come to me with antiques and a love of traditional furniture and I embrace the chance to design in a style that is not my go-to.
- I won’t insist that something has to be used the way it was originally intended. I love rethinking how to use the furniture, artwork and decor clients already have. For example, a buffet could function as storage in an office or as a dresser in a bedroom. Artwork could be grouped together instead of as single pieces.
- I won’t claim I’m doing everything myself! I rely on a host of handymen/handywomen, furniture companies, painters, contractors, lighting and plumbing suppliers, moving companies, and electricians. They help me create beautiful environments. I’m loyal to them and they offer discounts to me that I pass along to my clients!
I hope this gives you an idea of what you can expect working with me to create a home you love. Find out a little more about recent projects in my portfolio and case studies. Or see how I can help you organize, design and move.